Psi Chi, the National Honor Society in Psychology, was founded in 1929. The Oglethorpe chapter began in 1985 and continues to be active on campus. In the past, Psi Chi has hosted psychology movie nights, game nights and organizational events for members only (i.e., Trivia Night at Mellow Mushroom). Induction into Psi Chi occurs every fall and spring semester.
To become a member, you need the following qualifications:
- be enrolled as a major or minor in a psychology program or a program psychological in nature
- have completed at least 3 semesters or equivalent of full-time college coursework
- have completed at least 12 semester hours of psychology courses
- have earned a cumulative GPA that is in the top 35% of their class (sophomore, junior, or senior) compared to their classmates across the entire university (minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4-point scale)
- have a minimum 3.4 GPA average for psychology courses
If you meet these qualifications and are interested in joining Psi Chi, you just need to fill out the application and turn it in to Dr. John Carton in Hearst 308. Applications for membership are available on the Psychology Bulletin Board (3rd floor of Hearst) and/or located on the national Psi Chi website.
Deadlines for applying to Psi Chi are usually in November for the fall semester and March for the spring semester, so feel free to contact any Psi Chi member or Dr. John Carton with any questions. For more information about Psi Chi, visit psichi.org.